Summary: As you weigh the benefits and risks of spaying your dog, be sure to be honest with yourself. If you are not going to be vigilant when your dog is in heat, you will most likely end up with a litter of pups. It only takes minutes for your dog to become pregnant. Talk to your vet and your family and do what is best for you and your dog.
6 Reasons to NOT Spay a Dog
There are several reasons to consider spaying your dog. Before scheduling any surgery or treatment, if time permits, it is always best to study and research your options. Every dog and situation is unique. This article is for information only and is not meant to suggest treatment.
Every dog and situation is unique. This article is for information only and is not meant to suggest treatment. Here are some of the most popular reasons to not spay a dog.
- Surgical Complications: Any time your dog undergoes surgery, there are risks. Be sure to discuss them with your vet.
- Increased Vaccine Reactions: Some studies suggest that after being spayed your dog may have increased odds of reacting strangely to vaccines. Reactions vary from irritation, itching, and lethargy to severe illness and death.
- Osteosarcoma: If your dog is spayed too early (before 1 year) it can significantly increase the risk of bone cancer.
- Increased Risk of Hypothyroidism and Obesity: There is evidence that suggests an increased risk to Hypothyroidism and Obesity after having your dog spayed.
- Spay Incontinence: Some dogs will develop incontinence as a result of spaying.
- Nature: Many people want their dog to stay the way she is naturally intended to be.
Be Vigilant if You Choose Not to Spay
In conclusion, keep in mind that if you choose not to spay your dog, you will need to be vigilant during her cycle in order to prevent unwanted puppies. Keep her under supervision at all times. To help prevent stains and messes from her heat cycles, you can purchase Simple Solution Disposable Dog Diapers for your dog from Amazon or other similar product. These are to help with messy periods ONLY and are not a way to keep her from becoming pregnant.
Simple Solution Disposable Dog Diapers
Good luck with your decision!
If you have further comments or questions about ‘6 Reasons to NOT Spay a Dog’, feel free to visit our Forums or make a Comment on this article below.