False Pregnancy?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  renae114 9 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

renae114
    Participant

False Pregnancy?
    I have a 3 year old female mini schnauzer. I also have a 1 year old male. They mated on November 29th and again on December 2nd. I was told to count 64 days after the first mating, which made the puppies due on January 31st. I took my female for x-rays on Jan 17, the vet said no puppies. He said she was having a false pregnancy. She has a very distended belly with milk. He gave me hormone pills and antibiotics. I really felt that she was pregnant so I didn’t give the pills. I read that no meds are necessary for false pregnancy. Today (Jan 20) I felt pups moving in her belly. If she got pregnant on the last mating.. that would make pups due around Feb 2, 2009. Could she be pregnant? Should I take her back for an x-ray? Please help!! Also, I noticed a slight discharge but no odor or color. Is this normal????

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  John.
  • Author
    Replies

renae114
    Participant

thanks for the comment! i did feel puppies moving increasingly. i took her back to the vet on thursday and had an ultrasound done. there were 4-5 pups visable!! the vet said that they should have been visable on xray, even at the later date of breeding that would have made it 46 days on the xray date. he said i did good, and didn’t charge for the ultrasound. now we are just watching and waiting!

John Mackenzie
    Participant

I agree with not having her take the pills. There is not any reason to take extra pills except to line the vet’s wallet. I have had false pregnancies with some of my females where they have distended bellies and have milk. It was truly a false pregnancy. If you had x-rays taken and nothing was seen that is the best indicator. I would recommend calling the vet and having him look one more time at the x-ray. Sometimes you can feel intestines moving when they are full and perhaps this is what you have felt. I hope the vet just missed something on the x-ray.
    Bree

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.