whelping

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mamapug5 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Terri9967
    Participant

whelping
    My peekapoo went into labor at 7pm and had her 1st pup at 10:30pm it is now almost 5 am and she has had 4 puppies. There seems to be one more atleast but she has not had any contractions in about 3 hours, last puppy was born at 12:am. I have taken her outside and walked her around a little hoping that if there is another pup in there she would go back into labor. But she has not yet. I am not 100% sure there is another puppy in there, but when I massage her belly there is a hard area that feels about the size of a puppy. It is located about the middle of her stomach and does seem to move from one side of her to the other.

Can labor stop for several hours then resume? It is 5am sunday morning and my vet is not open on sundays. Any help would be wonderful. This is her 2nd litter and had no problems with her first litter.

Thank you
    Terri

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  John.
  • Author
    Replies

mamapug5
    Participant

To avoid the possibility of a pup being stuck inside the dame I always get an x-ray done on her at day 56-58. This will help us to know how many are going to be coming into the world and it tells the vet if there will be a problem with natural whelping.
    If the labour stops for four hours or more and you are not sure if there is another pup or not, take you bitch to your vet or an emergency hospital to be checked out. It is better to be safe than sorry.

ediane
    Participant

Sometimes I have mistaken the uterus for being another puppy. Because when it contract it will be a hard ball in her stomach area. How is she doing now? Is she eating and drinking?

romeodanini
    Participant

I’m sorry that I have read of your problem. Especially for those without much practice birth is always an event that anxiety ………… you always hope that everything is fine.
    Is always an important event with many problems.

Dott Romeo Danini
    http://www.hillsiderendezvous.it

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.